God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference. (Serenity Prayer, Reinhold Niebuhr)
Characteristics of Quality
Product Characteristics (Westcott 2013)
- Reasonable Price
- Ease of Use
- Simplicity of Design
- Ease of Disposal
Service Characteristics (Westcott 2013)
- Understanding the Customer
Freedom from Deficiencies (Gryna 2007)
- Product free from defects and errors at delivery, during use, and during servicing
- All processes free of rework loops, redundancy and other waste
- Service free of errors during original and future service transactions
Effects are that features commonly have a positive effect on sales but also can increase costs due to increased design quality. Freedom from deficiencies usually decrease cost.
- Gryna, Chua, et al (2007), Juran's Quality Planning and Analysis, 5th Edition.
- Westcott (2013), The Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence Handbook, 4th Edition. ASQ Press.